Testing for Mercury and Double-Dipping: NY Times Dining Section
From the New York Times' Dining Section...
• Taking Worry Off the Plate: The Times follows up last week's article on mercury in tuna with not one but two pieces on choosing healthy seafood. Some supermarkets are testing seafood themselves, and there are still good alternatives in canned fish, like the sardines picture above.
More below, including the real medical truth behind double-dipping into that Super Bowl ranch dip...
• The French Answer to Pecan Pie: Mark Bittman makes a minimalist Walnut Pie.
• One Pot: Cocido: We are loving the One Pot column. This week it's a recipe for a stew with tender chickpeas, bacon, spareribs and chorizo - an ancient Spanish dish. It's a little like our favorite Chickpea and Chorizo Soup.
• Dip Once or Dip Twice?: Harold McGee investigates the science and medicine of double-dipping - are there really more germs in a double-dipper's chip dip?
• Gluttonous Rite Survives Without Silverware: The beefsteak: tender beef, French fries, beer - a tradition peculiar to Jersey.