Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits by Andrew Schloss
Homemade liqueurs are some of easiest and most fun kitchen projects around. From creative and seasonal flavors to DIY versions of popular brands, you can sip your concoctions neat, use them in cocktails, and give them as gifts. Here to guide you on this delicious, boozy journey is Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits, a new cookbook by Andrew Schloss.
• Who wrote it: Andrew Schloss
• Who published it: Storey Publishing
• Number of recipes: 159 liqueurs + 80 cocktails
• Recipes for right now: Apple Spice Hooch, Persimmon Sunrise, Smoky Bacon Bourbon, Forest Refuge, Ginger-Cardamom Mead, Brown Sugar Pecan, Lavender White Tea, Chocolate Orange Peel, Eggnog, Molasses Wine
• Other highlights: Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits begins with a description of basic techniques and the various liquors, flavorings, and sweeteners that can be used to make your own liqueurs. Recipes comprise the main part of the book, which is organized by fruit; vegetables; herbs and spices; nuts and seeds; floral; coffee, tea & chocolate; creamy; caramel, syrup & butterscotch; and unsweetened infused spirits. In addition to the unique flavor combinations there are 21 copycat versions of popular liqueurs like Kahlúa, Cointreau, St. Germain, and Bailey's. The final chapter consists of cocktail recipes that use the various liqueurs.
The layout and recipes are clear and ideal for someone who's new to liqueur making. For old pros, the sheer variety of recipes and styles should provide inspiration for new flavor ideas. While the majority of recipes are not illustrated, the photos that are in the book are vibrant, colorful, and provide good examples for packaging and presentation.
• Who would enjoy this book? DIY enthusiasts, home mixologists, people who want to make homemade gifts
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Homemade Liqueurs and Infused Spirits: Innovative Flavor Combinations, Plus Homemade Versions of Kahlúa, Cointreau, and Other Popular Liqueurs by Andrew Schloss
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.