30 Cozy Breakfasts to Make When You're Snowed In
You wake up, check the weather, look outside the window, check the weather again and it's true — it's a snow day! Hurray! Today is not the day for icy smoothies or chilly yogurt bowls. You've got the unexpected time and energy to make something a little special. Cozy up with a warm, hearty breakfast such as an indulgent cinnamon roll breakfast bake or a savory bread, sausage, and apple hash.
Sweet Baked Goods
You've always wanted to try monkey bread or a homemade coffee cake, but time was never on your side, until now. Fill up your house with the sweet scent of hot cinnamon and sugar and your snow day will be complete.
- Citrusy Breakfast Polenta Cake
- How To Make Monkey Bread
- Pear and Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Pancake Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Bake
Eggs in Many Ways
If you're snowed in, you have to make do with what's on hand, and who doesn't have a carton of eggs in the refrigerator? Versatile, convenient, and delicious, eggs open up all sorts of cozy possibilities.
- Greek Scramble
- Quick Breakfast Recipe: Basic Oven Omelet
- How To Make a French Omelette
- How To Make Soft, Creamy Scrambled Eggs
- How To Make a Frittata
Things in Skillets
Extra cozy time means you can pull out the cast iron skillet and indulge in a hearty hash or stovetop baked eggs.
- Bread, Sausage, and Apple Hash
- Salmon Hash with Yukon Gold Potatoes and Herbs
- Radish and Turnip Hash with Fried Eggs
- Baked Egg and Chorizo Enchiladas
- Skillet Chipotle Chilaquiles with Eggs
A snow day is an extra treat, so it's only natural that your breakfast choice should be an extra treat, too. Bring on the maple syrup!
- How To Make a Dutch Baby Pancake
- Eggnog Waffles with Spiced Whipped Cream
- Apple Pie Stuffed French Toast
- The Best Pancake Recipe: Lofty Buttermilk Pancakes
- Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole
Breakfast casseroles are usually reserved for brunch or special occasions, but an unexpected snow day is also a cause for celebration and a reason to turn the oven on for a nice eggy, cheesy bake.
- Cauliflower and Mushroom Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Black Forest Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- Smoky Sweet Potato & Black Bean Casserole
- Apple, Sausage, and Smoked Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Polenta Squares with Spinach & Bacon
Oatmeal and Other Porridges
Instant oatmeal may be your choice on a busy, out-the-door-running kind of morning, but on a snow day you can indulge in a more luxurious version. Or better yet, go with congee or polenta for a nice change of pace.
- Coconut and Ginger Oatmeal
- Masala Chai-Spiced Oatmeal
- Raspberry Cookie Butter Baked Oatmeal
- How To Make Congee Rice Porridge
- How I Turn Last Night's Polenta into Breakfast Porridge