25 Easy, Fancy Sides to Make Any Dinner Feel Special
The main dish often gets all the attention, but smart cooks know that a successful meal relies mostly on what the side dishes are bringing to the table. Start with roasted cabbage slaw with hazelnuts and lemon or smashed potatoes with Gouda and horseradish and you can already sense the beautiful, well-balanced meal to come. Those plain ol' pork chops never had it so good!
Potatoes are a classic side dish, but they sometimes come up a little plain. Here we scallop, Hasselback, and smash them, bringing on pizzazz without a lot of effort.
- Sour Cream Balsamic Sweet Potatoes
- Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Salt & Vinegar Potatoes
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- How To Make Hasselback Potatoes
- Smashed Potatoes with Gouda and Horseradish
Rice & Grains
Adding a little (or a lot!) of flavor and texture to your usual scoop of white rice or instant couscous doesn't take a lot of extra effort and the payoff is enormous.
- Wild Rice and Kale Casserole
- Restaurant-Style Mexican Rice
- Baked Polenta with Greens and Gruyère
- Zereshk Polow (Persian Barberry Rice)
- 3-Bean Israeli Couscous Salad
Be careful! Sometimes your vegetable sides will steal the show — especially if you use one of these flavorful and innovative recipes.
- Cider-Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
- Broccoli Rabe and White Bean Gratin
- How To Make the Creamiest Mashed Cauliflower
- Honey-Mustard Brussels Sprouts
- Summer Squash Gratin
- How To Make Eggplant Noodles
- Roasted Carrots with Orange
Salads & Slaws
Gone are the days of the puny, limp side salad with its lone cherry tomato and dried-up carrot curl. These salads and slaws are fresh and full of color and flavor.
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
- How To Make the Ultimate Classic Caesar Salad
- Kimchi and Radish Salad
- Marinated Baby Beet and Carrot Salad with Yogurt Ranch Dressing
- Tartine's Chicory Salad with Anchovy Dressing
- Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing