17 Freezer Meals for When You Come Back from Vacation
Before you go on vacation, what do you do? If you are like me, you probably clean out your fridge, empty your trash cans, and try to straighten up a little bit. Coming home to spoiled milk and smelly garbage is no fun! Now that I'm a mom, I add one more thing to my pre-vacation to-do list: I always (always!) stock the freezer. It takes a little forethought and planning, but it's the very best gift I give myself before vacation.
From single-serve oatmeal to spinach-feta wraps, here are some of my family's post-travel freezer favorites (without any mention of frozen waffles).
You could stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables such as bananas, pineapple, peaches, blueberries, spinach, or kale — or you could do yourself a solid (or a liquid?) and make it even easier on yourself.
Option 1: Pre-blend some smoothies.
Option 2: Make smoothie packs (i.e., put all the ingredients for your smoothie into individual muffin tins and freeze them).
Either way, your body will thank you.
- Make-Ahead Blueberry Smoothies
- Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- Raspberry Rosewater Smoothie
- Creamy Orange Date Smoothie
- Black and Blue Power Smoothie
Soups & Sandwiches
The pairing of soup and a sandwich is always a winner, so I make sure my freezer is stocked with them. Most soups freeze well, and bread defrosts quickly, meaning your hunger pangs will be sorted in seconds.
- Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
- Freezer-Friendly Spinach-Feta Wraps
- How To Make Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Sandwiches
- How To Make Freezer Club Sandwiches
As far as sustenance goes, oats are a sure bet. Oatmeal with mix-ins? A hundred percent. And who doesn't love breakfast cookies? I'm also a fan of quinoa, which can go savory (fry it up and put an egg on it it) or sweet (add butter, maple syrup, and frozen bananas).
- Frozen Single-Serve Oatmeal with Almonds & Dried Cherries
- Spiced Carrot Oat Breakfast Cookies
- How to Freeze & Thaw Rice, Quinoa & Other Whole Grains
I know, you know, and your mom knows that casseroles are the ideal freezer meal.
- Tomato, Broccoli & Mozzarella Pasta Casserole
- Chile & Sausage Oven Frittata
- Cheesy Vegetarian Lasagna
- Lighter Baked Mac and Cheese
What are your go-to freezer meals? Tell us in the comments below.